Royal Canadian Air Force
World War 2 Halifax Bomber Air Gunner.
WW2 AIR CREW EUROPE MEDAL GROUP TO AN AIR GUNNER COMPLETE WITH LOGBOOK TO 2209731 FLIGHT OFFICER WILLIAM GEORGE RAVENSCROFT DAVIES
FROM WHITCHURCH, SALOP, SHROPSHIRE, ENGLAND.
THIS LOT CONSISTS OF 39 STAR, ORIGINAL AIR CREW EUROPE MEDAL WITH FRANCE AND GERMANY BAR, WAR MEDAL.
ALSO PRESENT IS HIS LOGBOOK FROM JULY 1943-13/11/1944.
HE WAS AN AIR GUNNER IN HALIFAX BOMBERS. OPERATIONAL SORTIES 1943 FRANKFURT, MINE LANE, BERLIN. 1944 BERLIN, LE MANS, AMIENS, LILLE, GHENT, PARIS, SOMAIN, ST VALERIE, ST PIERRE, BOULOUGNE, LOUAIN, TROUVILLE, LECIPON, ARRAS, NEUVILLE, BONNETOT, GORNEFLOW, WIZERNS, BIENNAIS, BREMONT, CAEN (GUN POSITIONS DAYLIGHT), PARIS RAIL YEARS, ANDERBELK, STUTTGART.
HE THEN WENT ON TO BE AN INSTRUCTOR FOR THE REST OF THE WAR.
TOTAL FLYING HOURS WITH 431 SQUADRON 171.5 DAY AND 201.36 NIGHT.
Medals – in box of issue, with ribbons and compliment slip.
1939 45 Star
Air Crew Europe Star (France and Germany Bar)
Ribbon Bar with Rosette.
Service and Relief Book
Many Photographs, Documents and Letters.
This is a superb package and is on sale at the Militaria Market in Arundel, West Sussex. It has to be seen and looked at to appreciate the sheer quantity of history here.
If you wish to purchase and cannot come to Arundel to view, please contact us through this site.
This is a very moving letter which indicates that his friend, Harry, is missing in action. It just illustrates the terrible time endured by all involved at that time. Servicemen, families and friends are all touched in this letter.
Bomber Command No.431 Squadron RCAF
No. 431 Squadron RCAF
Motto: “The hatilen ronteriios” (“Warriors of the air”).
Badge: An Iroquois Indian’s head. The Iroquois Indian’s head represents the squadron’s nickname. The motto is in Iroquois.
No. 431 (Iroquois) Squadron was formed at Burn, near Selby, on 11th November 1942, as a bomber unit of No. 4 Group. In mid-July 1943, it was transferred to No. 6 (RCAF) Group and Tholthorpe and early in December that year moved to Croft, its last home in the UK. The squadron was first equipped with Wellington Xs, converting to Halifax Vs coincident with its move to Tholthorpe. It used the latter type until early April 1944, after which it operated with Halifax IIIs until the end of October 1944. Through the final months of its wartime career it flew Lancaster Xs.